Friday 26 July 2013

30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge: Day 27

Day 27: What's the best piece of advice have had?

Don't be afraid to ask for the help you need.

I'm by nature both independent and stubborn - I don't *lie* needing help, or indeed asking for it. Firmly in character I spent the first few months not really knowing what to do, pushing myself too far because I didn't want to admit I needed support and then naturally making the whole situation worse as a result.

Slowly over time the thought occurred to me that nobody gets hurt if I ask for help. Nobody has to sacrifice limbs or fall on their sword, least of all me.

In fact all that happened generally was that the people I started to go to were relieved I was finally asking, and I was saved from the cycle of over-doing I'd brought on myself.

Being completely honesty, I still don't like it. Wise move or not, the necessity sticks in my throat quite a bit. This probably isn't helped by the unpredictability - to go from a couple of days of being able to do everything to suddenly needing help with the simplest of tasks again really makes me grind my teeth.

Today is one of those days. I woke up feeling quite active but this went down the pan after a couple of hours. As such the ironing will just have to wait and I've done very little beside empty the dishwasher and open the windows. Yes, opening the windows was about the extent of my capabilities. Fate, I find your sense of humour most distasteful.

So, I'm taking a leaf out of my cat's book and settling down for a snooze, and whilst awake getting reacquainted with an old friend of mine - it's been years since I re-read the Harry Potter books, and they're nice for when I want to take my brain out of gear.


(They say pets resemble their owners...)


No comments:

Post a Comment